Thursday, March 28, 2013

How Not to Pick Up a Woman at Blockbuster on a Saturday Night

We were both seeing what Blockbuster had to offer one recent Saturday night, except I was checking out the newer movies, while he was checking out me. He kept looking in my direction, then held up two movies and declared to me (because I was the only one within earshot), "I just can't decide which movie to rent," as if it were as big a dilemma as where to go to college or what kind of sushi to order at a great sushi place.

"Oh," was the original, witty response I lobed back at him. It is my default response when saying anything that would reflect what I'm really thinking is as unacceptable as *not* responding to a stranger obviously trying to engage me in a conversation. Then my inner Midwestern Politeness Battle-ax took over my mouth and I quickly added, "I haven't seen either one of them. Sorry."

He elaborated that one of the movies was something he had wanted to see, but that he was hesitating because the director had a reputation for making very violent movies. The other one was by a director he loved, but he had never heard of this movie until tonight when he had accidentally stumbled upon it while browsing.

This time I managed to muster an impressive "Oh," as if he had told me he likes pretzels or that he once had a goldfish named Bill. It was my "Oh" that said, ‘Whatevs. I don't really give a shit. Why are you still talking to me?' Then, appalled by my bitchy near-non-response, my inner Midwestern Politeness Battle-ax again commandeered my mouth and I heard it tell him, "I always love it when serendipity leads me to a good movie I have never heard of."

He put the violent movie back on the shelf and wished me a good evening, then wandered up front to rent the serendipitous movie by the director he loved. A few minutes later, he came back, explaining he had changed his mind. “Oh. I do that all the time. I’ve actually been here since noon because I can’t pick a movie,” I joked. “What made you change your mind?” I asked.

I wanted to talk to you again,” he said.

Oh…,” I said as my mind slipped into panic mode. It was my “Oh” that really meant, ‘Oh f*ck. Why the hell did I have to open my big fat mouth again? Why can’t I just let go of the opportunity to tell a joke? Why do I have to try to make every stranger like me? Why am I so needy? Holy crap, I need to go back to therapy. Every day. Jeez…how the hell am I going to get out of this?’

He apparently took my “Oh” as interest on my part, and with the artful subtlety of a double-decker bus at a Mini Cooper rally, he started to tell me about his job as an Executive Producer of a children’s movie “complete with big musical production numbers.” He emphasized how stressful he found it to produce a children’s movie.

Besides being incredibly physically fit,” he bragged, “I am also incredibly patient. Those two things have saved me during this movie. It only makes me cry a few times a week.”

Oh,” I replied yet again. This time it was my “Oh” that meant ‘I don’t have a f*cking clue what to say to you in response. And you obviously have no f*cking clue that bragging is as big a turn-off for most women as crapping your pants. And yet you chose to metaphorically crap your pants right in front of me, loudly and proudly. Why do men do that?! Does bragging *EVER* work as a pick-up strategy?’

Yes, I’ve heard making a movie is very stressful,” I replied with deliberate nonchalance. I grabbed a movie off the shelf and looked around to find my daughter, who was wandering the aisles with her friend. When I turned back around, he was next to me leaning in. “You have amazing eyes,” he half-whispered.

Oh,” I said as I lowered my eyes and looked at the floor, “Thanks.” This was the “Oh” that signified my exhaustion with him. As in ‘Oh crap…just go away. I have no interest in you. I have a boyfriend. I just want to rent a movie in peace and go home. Is that so much to ask?!’

Then, my daughter approached me while rolling her eyes. “Mom, can we *GO* now?” she said in an impatient manner that only a middle-school girl would use with her parent in public. “Yes!” I replied, happy to be granted this deus ex machina from Braggy McCrapPants by my obnoxious daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment