Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Older and Wiser

I have always pictured post-divorce love blossoming for me -- if it happened to me -- after a long, steady courtship, starting out slowly as friends and progressing to romance and then love in a gradual, natural way. Falling in love would be the emotional version of slowly submerging myself into a warm bubble bath, feeling perfectly comfortable and relaxed, surrounded by geranium-scented candles and warm towels. You know, the sensible way to fall in love, now that I'm much older and wiser.

Ha! Friggin' ha! While I am definitely older, I'm not sure how much wiser I am. Even though I have very much wanted to find the right guy with whom to fall in love after my divorce, I am surprised by how much that very possibility is frightening to me. Instead of luxuriating in a warm, comfortable bath, I seem to have cannon-balled off the pier into the lake. And now I'm screaming, "Holy shit, it's freezing in here," even though I know the water's nice and I will get used to it in a minute. 

I don't get it. At times I have felt so frustrated by my seemingly quixotic quest to fall in love again, yet when I am on the cusp of it, it scares me witless. Pfft. Man, sometimes I annoy the crap out of myself. 

1 comment:

  1. And women wonder why men don't understand them!!
    You've metaphorically dived in so stop complaining and enjoy it. Just remember to tell all on the blog.
    It's been two weeks since the night out a trois, octogenarian included, so what's going on?

    ReplyDelete